My selection of events (classical music and opera) to see in Paris in December 2010.
- Wed 1, Thu 2: A fantasticaly tallented Gil Shaham will play the works by Liadov and Prokofiev, in addition to Petrushka by Stravinsky with Orchestre de Paris under the baton of Dmitri Slobodeniouk
- Fri 3: Webern, Berg and Zemplinsky with Angela Denoke and Peter Mattei singing, and with Daniel Harding conducting Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
- Sat 4: Vadim Repin and Boris Berezovsky
- Sun 5: Evgeny Kissin - recital, Schumann, Chopin
- Tue 7: Maurizio Pollini - recital, Chopin
- Wed 8, Thu 9: Yuja Wang is the female equivalent to Lang Lang. She will perform with Orchestre de Paris and with maestro Juraj Valcuha conducting.
- Fri 10: Myung-Whun Chung to conduct his OPRF. Progr: Dusapin, Dutilleux and Ravel (Daphnis et Chloé)
- Sat 11, Sat 12, Sun 13: Mahler's Symphony #2 (with Anastasia Kaligina and Olga Borodina), #1 and #5, #4 and #6 (with Anastasia Kaligina). In all three concerts Valery Gergiev will conduct his Mariinsky Theater Orchestra
- Sun 19: Cecilia Bartoli -- recital of arias from operas by Handel
- Wed 1: Philippe Jarousky - recital of arias by Caldara
- Thu 2: David Afkham (!!!) to conduct Orchestre National de France. Progr. Symp. #10 by Shostakovich, in addition to the Violin Concerto #2 by Prokofiev with Sergey Khachatryan as a soloist
- Tue 7: Sandrine Piau in company of Ensemble orchestral de Paris and maestro John Nelson will perform works by Strauss, Britten
- Wed 8: piano recital - Piotr Anderszewski; Progr. Bach and Schumann
- Thu 9: Orchestre National de France lead by Hartmuth Haenchen and with soloists Christiane Oelze and Thomas Johannes Mayer (!!) for Ein deutsches Requiem by Brahms
- Fri 10: Mitsuko Uchida - piano recital
- Sat 11: Philippe Jaroussky and Andreas Scholl for a night of musics by Purcell (Ensemble Artaserse)
- Mon 13: Patricia Petibon and Il Giardino Armonico for a recital of arias from operas by Mozart and Haydn
- Wed 15: Vivica Genaux sings Rossini - recital
- Thu 16: Phenomenal Vasily Petrenko comes back to Paris, now to conduct Orchestre National de France in a program: Sibelius (Violin concerto, with Valery Sokolov as soloist), and the Prokofiev Symphony #5
- Fri 17: Philippe Jaroussky and Friends (Verónica Cangemi, Jérôme Ducros, Gautier Capuçon, Ebène Quartet...)
- Sat 18: Maris Jansons to conduct Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks. Progr: Mahler's 4th (with Miah Persson) and Shostakovich's 9th.
Théâtre du Châtelet
- Thu 12 ... : My Fair Lady, new production directed by Robert Carsen and with Kevin Farrell conducting. Ed Lyon is in the cast; 27 shows are scheduled to embellish your Xmas and NY time
- Wed 1, Fri 3, Mon 6: Mathis der Maler, at last a new production at Opéra Bastille [dir- Olivier Py, cnd-Christoph Eschenbach] Cast: Scott Mac Allister, Matthias Goerne, Melanie Diener, Svetlana Doneva, Wolfgang Ablinger-Sperrhacke, Thorsten Grümbel...
- Sat 11, Tue 14, Fri 17, Mon 20, Wed 22, Sat 25, Tue 28, Thu 30: Ariadne auf Naxos [dir- Laurent Pelly, cnd- Philippe Jordan] Cast: Ricarda Merbeth, Jane Archibald, Sophie Koch, Stefan Vinke, Detlef Roth, Elena Tsallagova, Edwin Crossley-Mercer, François Piolino, Xavier Mas,Yun Jung Choi, Diana Axentii
- Sat 18, Sun 19, Tue 21, Wed 22: Kurt Weill - New York (Songs from Street Scene) [dir- Irène Bonnaud, cnd- Christian Schirm] Cast: young members of Atelier Lyrique of the Paris Opera
Opéra national de Paris - Opéra Garnier
- Sat 4, Tue 7, Thu 9, Mon 13, Thu 16, Mon 20, Wed 22, Sat 25, Mon 27: The bartered Bride [dir- Gilbert Deflo, cnd- Constantin Trinks] Cast: Piotr Beczala, Inva Mula, Oleg Bryak, Heinz Zednik, Jean-Philippe Lafont ...
- Thu 2, Fri 3: revival of an opera by Lully, Cadmus et Hermione [dir- Benjamin Lazar, cnd- Vincent Dumestre] Cast: André Morsch, Claire Leﬁlliâtre, Arnaud Marzorati, Isabelle Druet...
- Mon 13, Tue 14: Cachafaz by Oscar Strasnoy [dir- Benjamin Lazar, cnd- Geoffrey Jourdain] Cast: Lisandro Abadie, Marc Mauillon, Nicolas Vial
- Wed 22, Thu 23: Carnaval Baroque [dir-Cécile Roussat, cnd-Vincent Dumestre] Bruno Le Levreur, Hugues Primard, Serge Goubioud, Arnaud Marzorati
Cité de la Musique
- Thu 2: Orchestre National de Lyona conducted by Jun Märkl -- Prometheus by Liszt, R.Strauss, Beethoven and Scriabin
- Sat 4 and Sun 5: English Baroque Soloists and Monteverdi Choir + Sir John Eliot Gardiner for an evening with Cantatas by Bach
- Wed 8: Jordi Saval with his Hisperion XXI to perform Don Quijote de la Mancha - the best of Catalonia for you!
- Thu 9: Lots of Spanish 17 century songs sung by La Grande Chapelle including Sonya Yoncheva (!!!)
- Sat 11: Beethoven's 5th by Les Dissonances conducted by David Grimal
- Tue 14: Ensemble Intercontemporain conducted by Susanna Mälkki to make you discover new gems (by Donatoni, Robin and Grisey)
- Thu 16: Bellérophon, an opera by Lully in concert, with Les Talens Lyriques conducted by Christophe Rousset. Cast: R. Getchel, E. Alexiev, C. Auvity...
- Fri 17: Joshua Bell and Chamber Orchestra of Europe, all conducted by Vladimir Jurowski will perform works by Glinka, Schubert and Mendelssohn
Musée du Louvre
- Tue 7: In the main hall of Musée d'Orsay, Orchestre philharmonique de Radio France
conducted by Myung Wung Chung will play Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique
- Sat 4: Till Felner - sonatas 30, 31, 32 by Beethoven
- Sun 12: Brigitte Engerer with Orchestre Lamoureux to perform Mazeppa by Liszt, and Beethoven's 6th
- Tue 14: Orchestre Romantique Européen
- Thu 16...: 12 shows of an opérette called phi-phi by Henri Christiné. Dir- Johanny Bert, cnd- Christophe Grapperon, Cast: Emmanuelle Goizé, Gilles Bugeaud, Olivier Hernandez, Lara Neumann, Antoine Sastre
Théâtre des bouffes du nord
- December: Many sold-out shows of A Magic Flute (new production) dir- Peter Brook, cnd-, Franck Krawczyk, Cast: Dima Bawab , Malia Bendi-Merad , Thomas Dolie , Antonio Figueroa , Virgile Frannais , Matthew Morris , Agnieszka Slawinska , Adrian Strooper, Lei Xu , Jeanne Zaepffel...
Now for something completely different... Listen to Sylvain Chauveau's Un autre décembre
Ah yes, one Cake-pic from Paris. This time from the famous Fauchon (Yummmm....)