Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Invecchiare bene



Christa Ludwig, one of the G.O.A.T. singers, visited Salzburg during the Summer Festival this year and for the Festival's daily paper "Daily" she said something we rarely hear from an old glory. So instead of unloading the usual critiques directed at young singers, directors, and conductors she graciously said:
There is no golden age, that is just a figment of one’s imagination. I like coming to Salzburg and I also attend performances that are crazy. One always has to try to do something new. Of course it happens that some things turn out well and others not so well. But one has to try them out. It’s a shame to stick only to the old stuff!

Way to go Frau Ludwig!
Here is one of the best ever rendition of "Der Tod und das Mädchen" by Schubert [listen to Christa's gravi!]



an excerpt from her sensational Ortrud



Add to that her remakable take on belcanto



and listen to this baroque gem...

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Thanks for citing the interview, and sharing the music (I had never heard the Bach before.) AND she quotes Rilke! Just when I think she can't give me any more reasons to love her... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brava Ms. Ludwig! I hope all the old fogies (and you don't have to be old to be one) read this. Way too many people think that anything done today, regie or not, is simply not as good as it was "back then."

    I'm a newbie, relatively speaking, to opera. I'm in my late fifties but only started going regularly in the mid-90's. It started with a "Ring" cycle at the Met in 1993. "Die Walkure" was only my second time at the Met and, as it turned out, was Ms. Ludwig's farewell to the house. She sang Fricka and I wish I could go back in time with all the experience I have since acquired and really appreciate her performance.

    ReplyDelete