Sunday, March 13, 2011

Whata show in Dijon! Cisco Aznar - new gem from Catalunya

I expected everything but this. I just saw the best show this year and one of the best I've ever seen in France: Turandot by Busoni in Dijon.

It's Herheim-like style, but with a load of contemporary choreography, and with the best taste of Spain in the background.

Cisco Aznar, with two phenomenal singers today: Sabine Hogrefe (Turandot) and Thomas Piffka (Kalaf)

Cisco freaking Aznar, where have you been hiding?!

I thought I'd never say this but here you have it: there are too MANY ideas for a ~2 hours show (completely opposite from Orlando Furioso, that I saw last night in Paris... more on that later tonight)!

Busoni's Turandot has very little to do with the Puccini's shouting-fest. It's more human,  deeper, with no trace of verismo in dramatic approach, and musically is completely different. 

Auditorium in Dijon is amazing. HUGE,  wonderfully maintained, the stage is as broad and deep as the one at Bastille.  I am in awe... but gotta run to catch the train back to Paris. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment