Sunday, June 22, 2014

Devastating Orphée in Brussels "Rien n'égale mon malheur..."

This is undoubtedly the best show I've seen since Parsifal staged by the very same Romeo Castellucci. Only 20min into the show I felt I was on the edge of tears and was holding back until the last 15min and then wept like a willow... almost felt embarrassed when the light came back on.

Warlikowski can sometime go deep and tackle your hidden emotion... but this is a whole another level yet. The concept is very simple, the message extremely poignant, and the impact on me/us was simply devastating... especially the moment of complete darkness when Orphée sings the celebrated aria was heartbreaking [Stéphanie D'Oustrac IS the most wonderful singer today! She's not the loudest, her voice is not the most beautiful, but no other singer can sing like her... It simply happens with her like with no other singer out there...]

You MUST be there to feel the show. This cannot work via webcast or a video recording. It simply drags you in and grabs your every emotion... Will write more when I come back to Paris.

Romeo Castellucci is a theatrical genius!

THANK YOU to Romeo and his team, and to Peter De Caluwe and this incomparable opera-theater! 





The best of Vesselina Kasarova...

6 comments:

  1. I'm bummed that I can't be there, so I have to hope it was video recorded for commercial release! :) Thanks very much for the review. I will certainly look for Stéphanie D'Oustrac in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Monnaie will be streaming it for about a month starting on July 9th. (It may end up on arte as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Opera Cake, I was there and started to cry while the truck was arriving and the choir was singing. I understand perfectly what you describe because I felt the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched it online... and even online it is extremely powerful and deeply moving... available online till 29 July http://www.lamonnaie.be/en/opera/323/Orphee-et-Eurydice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watched it online and am feeling very shaken. Must have been even more powerful in the house

    ReplyDelete
  6. J'ai été le voir, c'était bien :)

    ReplyDelete