Sunday, January 22, 2012

Don Carlo di Monaco

... not to be mistaken for Gian Carlo del Monaco. Latter is the name of a talentless opera producer who every year presents one of his lamentable productions at the Paris Opera.

Don Carlo di Monaco instead is a not-very-good production of Verdi's Don Carlo presented at the Bayerische Staatsoper in Munich, that will be live-streamed today January 22 2012, at 17:00 (CET) on this website.


If the production is not really worth spending over 3 hours in front of your computer, the cast is exquisite and you'll most probably love our dearest Anja Harteros, the majestic René Pape, and always reliable super-Jonas Kaufmann. I bet Anna Smirnova sounds perfect as Eboli in the auditorium of the BSO. 
Mariusz Kwiecien was supposed to sing the role of Marquis de Posa, but had to cancel a few weeks before the show, and is replaced by Boaz Daniel, who I recently listened in the same role [in the new production of Don Carlo at the Deutsche Oper in Berlin (much better production than the one in Munich, which I also saw a few years ago)].

Enjoy!



  • René Pape rulz!


  • This production is subpar for the Munich standards but it is nevertheless infinitely better than the abysmal new productions presented at the Paris Opera this year (Faust, Manon, La Forza del Destino -- it is hard to pick the worst of the three)
  • Time for Anja Harteros to rock the house -- Tu che le vanità 
  • She did it again ;)  Seriously guys, if you didn't get a chance to listen to Anja Harteros singing live in a good opera house you should book your next opera-trip and go to wherever she sings. It's 5 times better than recorded.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't mind the production - well, at least what I could see of it. It was very dark. The cast was wonderful. Yes, Harteros was terrific, and the audience agreed. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Boaz Daniel, especially as I wasn't expecting to. I didn't realize Kwiecien was supposed to do it. I'm glad I didn't know *that* until after it was over!

    We are very lucky to have these live webcasts, and I am not going to be too critical when I'm getting something from some place in the world I most likely won't be. I'm grateful. If you really pay attention, you can see 3 or 4 of these a month - maybe not live, but live enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wherefore art thou OC?

    Your blogging is sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete