- If you miss or you cannot see the Mozart Concert with Detlef Roth and Sandrine Piau on Arte, December 25, at 19:15 (cet) it's OK. It was recorded by La Cité de la Musique and it is available on this link
- December 29, at 22:20 (cet) on Arte: Les contes d'Hoffmann from BSO in Munich [dir- Richard Jones, cnd- Constantinos Carydis, cast: Diana Damrau, Rolando Villazón, John Relyea, Angela Brower...]
- December 30 free Webcast: the best Opera house in 2010-2011 --La Monnaie/De Munt in Brussels-- will open for free viewing Cendrillon by Massenet that is finishing its run these days [dir- Laurent Pelly, cnd- Alain Altonoglu, cast: Anne-Catherine Gillet (!), Sophie Marilley, Nora Gubisch, Eglise Gutiérrez, Angélique Noldus (!), Lionel Lhote...]
- December 31 at 18:30 (cet) on Mezzo TV: live from Philharmonia in Berlin, Berliner Philharmoniker, lead by Sir Simon Rattle, will give their New Year's Concert with a very eclectic program that you can consult on their website. This year the soloist to perform with them will be Evgeny Kissin.
- December 31, at 20:15 (cet) on Arte: live broadcast, from the Staatsoper in Vienna, of the 2nd Act of Die Fledermaus [dir- Otto Schenk, cnd- Franz Welser-Möst, cast: Kurt Streit, Reiner Trost, Michaela Kaune, Daniela Fally, Markus Eiche...]
- January 1st at 12:25 (cet) on Arte: live broadcast the New Year's Concert from La Fenice in Venice [dir- Diego Matheuz, singers: Jessica Pratt, Walter Fraccaro, Alex Esposito] Diego Matheuz musically grew up in Venezuelan Sistema; he's only 27 and is already the Chief Conductor of the Fenice Orch. -- since September 2011.
- On January 7 at 19:00 (cet) BSO in Munich will provide us with a live webcast of their excellent production of L'elisir d'amore, directed by talented David Bösch [cnd- Dan Ettinger, cast: Pavol Breslik, Adriana Kucerova, Ambrogio Maestri, Levente Molnar, Tara Erraught]
- January 22 at 17:00 (cet) Bavarian State Opera will let us see their least good production, which is Don Carlo, but with a perfect cast [dir- Jürgen Rose, cnd- Asher Fisch, cast: René Pape, Jonas Kaufmann, Anja Harteros, Mariusz Kwiecien, Anna Smirnova,...]
- Probably the most important information of this entry is that next January 24 at 20:00 (cet) Mezzo-TV will live broadcast from Teatro Real in Madrid the new Peter Sellars production of Iolanta [cast: Ekaterina Scherbachenko, Pavel Cernoch, Alexey Markov, Willard White...], followed by Stravinsky's Persephone [cast: Paul Groves, Dominique Blanc], all conducted by grandly talented Teodor Currentzis. Teatro Real is currently one of the most exciting operatic places in Europe, so every new production from Madrid is an event.
- Otherwise, you might wish to see Grandissimo Verdi, a concert that took place at Palais des Congrès in Paris on December 17, 2011, and is now available on Medici.tv. Daniele Gatti conducts Orchestre National de France and the Radio France Chorus. Program: Luisa Miller (Ouverture), I Lombardi alla prima crociata ["Gerusalem… ", "O signor , che dal tetto natio"], Macbeth ["Ballabili", "Patria oppressa !"], Don Carlo ["Spuntato ecco il di d’esultanza"], Nabucco (Ouverture) ["Gli arredi festivi...", "Va’, pensiero"], I vespri siciliani (Ouverture), Otello ["Ballabili"], Aida ["Gloria all’Egitto"]
- A few potentially tempting videos available for free viewing on Rai-TV:
- Rheingold from the Guy Cassier production of the Ring filmed at La Scala [cnd- Daniel Barenboim, cast: René Paper, Johannes Martin Kränzle, Jan Buchwald, Marco Jentzsch, Wolfgang Ablinger-Sperrhacke, Kwangchul Youn, Doris Soffel, Ekaterina Gubanova, Anna Samuil, Anna Larsson...]
- Salomé from Teatro Communale di Bologna [dir- Gabriele Levia, cnd- Nicola Luisotti, cast: Erica Sunnegardh (!), Robert Brubaker...]
- Medea (in Italian) from Teatro Regio di Torino [dir- Hugo de Ana, cnd- Evelino Pidò, cast: Anna Caterina Antonacci, Giuseppe Filianoti, Cinzia Forte, Sara Mingardo...]
Les contes d'Hoffmann:
This production is just an example of why Richard Jones is our "English Rose." You can recognize his sense for comedy, for drama, and his ginormous talent in this production.
Villazon excellent so far and since we already love Diana Damrau this is a pure pleasure... Surprise, surprise -- Angela Brower is fantastic!